Sunday, January 15, 2006

Dream Sequence: prelude and fugue






Prelude: I've been corresponding with a former student that is redefining for himself what "good drawing" is. I commended his quandaries into the relationship of form to content, and the questioning of his teacher's postulates for "good" art. I think I said something along the lines of "There's a lot of baggage that comes with learning to paint in a representational manner, and "good drawing" are the size 14 shoes that take up half of the god damned suitcase until you decide that you'll get along just fine on your own bare soles. "

-it might be important here to say that I wear size 13 shoes.-

Fugue:That night I had a dream that, at least in part, ensued from the statement to the student.

I was with my girl in a small city that we lived in. I wanted to see the inside of a hotel room that I had visualized in a dream. It was room 13 on the 13th floor. I convinced her to go in with me and pretend we wanted to book a room. Joy asked if we could see what the suite on the 13th floor looked like. The attendant gave us the key. After a round about avenue through the lobby and restaurant, we took the elevator to the 13th floor and looked at room 13. It was green and very reminiscent of room 237 in Kubrick's "the Shining", even more so of the paintings Damian Loeb had done of said room." Satisfied with seeing the room, we left the hotel. When outside, I realized I had left my boots on the 13th floor. I went back into get them. This was no easy fete (insert pun apology here), the elevator was crowded and there was a near accident where two children (boys) got separated from their mother. The doors closed as the woman and children entered the elevator with the stroller. The woman got closed off on the floor she started on, and the boys were dangling between the shaft and the elevator. The stroller was lost down the shaft. I pulled the kids up into the elevator. The kids got off on the 10th floor where they were reunited with their mother, and I went up to the 13th floor to retrieve my boots.

I forgot about the dream until it was mentioned in the morning that it was Friday the 13th.

2 Comments:

Blogger -kw said...

Oh.
Strangely enough, I had to struggle to fit those fucking' gigantic shoes into my suitcase and I wondered if it was worth it.
An now after your dream, I realize that they are shoes with bad drawing on them.
Trip out on that.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Hobo Wilson said...

That line work is nuthin but high caliber, KW.

Rockin good helmet btw.

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home