Wednesday, January 04, 2006

New work? What new work?

Hoping to bang out a few paintings by the new semester. Joy wants something over the mantle. The new mantle that is. (I say that with my pinky airborne) "What about a still life?", she says. About five years ago I wanted to do a still life of coffee and kidney stones. Another still life I thought about in the last couple of years was along the idea of "how can one paint something vicious in a very mild and calm manner?" That is the interest of an artist like Balthus. Something a little dark or depraved fed through the refined filter of aesthetics.

What if there was a depiction of a Bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken with a Watermelon and a six pack of Miller High Life?

Then I could just say something Greenbergian like, "I was interested in the overall color construction between the chicken and the watermelon. It was strictly a formal decision based on texture, color and design."

Would like to spit out a series of drawings as well. Artspace accepts submissions to the flatfile in Feb. I'll be teaching drawing quite a bit in the spring. Already have plans for the "DRAW MAGGOT" T-shirt to be worn when I'm teaching. You gotta show the youngsters you can shoot from the hip, the chest, the arm, the finger, basically any part that shows evidence of the cro-magnon impetus to scrawl.

The big question, however, is what will be the music of choice for the new work? The last piece of work here was coerced to the gleeful march of Butthole Surfer's "pepper" and random things by Super Furry Animals.

I will use this image to guide me however.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home