Monday, October 16, 2006

The Most Beautiful Nerd Ever Born

After a weekend of Open Studios and feeling depressed about the whole venture of art making and having to be accountable for my images, I ended up seeking solice by revisiting a hero of mine. The most beautiful nerd ever born was a guiding light for me in my early twenties. With the glory of you tube you can see performances here.


I collected all the Bach recordings and most of everything else he did. If this interests you in the least, I'd be happy to make a mix for you. The man was an exquisite and entertaining writer as well. If you can get your hands on the Glenn Gould reader, it is good reading even if you're not a music buff. The essay, Let's Ban Applause is worth a read. As for the videos here, you can see early and late Gould as well as a japanese version of "So You Want to Write a Fugue" ,which Gould composed.

You have to bear with the introduction for a bit, but the split screen De Palma/Brady Bunch techniques are worth the wait. The Japanese version of this is better than the English.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hay Hobo, Thanks for the Gould performance it was perfect. I was in my studio, in my robe, putting the finishing touches on a seascape weaving to show in Open Studo. Nothing could be better. I'd love a copy of you mix - I admire your all over the road taste in Music. I'll catch the other clips later, gotta run. - Suz

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you like how my name appears first right after recto square

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home